The actual band-up was very fast. My orthodontist used an 'indirect' technique where he set the brackets up on my stone models beforehand and created a clear putty key over the top. This key (with the brackets inside) was then placed over my teeth (which had been cleaned and etched) and a curing light was set over each one to keep them in place. Nice and quick.
After that, a excess glue was removed and a wire was put through. I'm supposed to wear elastics too but he said he was going to be nice and start the elastics next appointment so that I could get used to the braces first.
I was so apprehensive about the appearance that I didn't even look in the mirror at the surgery.
It wasn't until I got home that I braced (haha pun) myself for the moment of truth.
I think my mouth looks huge... my lips are sort of pushed out. It's hard to talk (though I know that will go away). I'm really very grateful for the 5 clear brackets in the front.
On the whole, I suppose I have to keep my mind on the final outcome. That and learn to smile with my mouth shut.
I can hide them slightly if I smile in a specific way. Time to practice!